Abducted woman in 14-hour rape ordeal

South Africa, October 2016

A traumatised woman has told of a night of terror as she was abducted, held hostage and gang-raped for hours by a group of men in a sports clubhouse, while slipping in and out of consciousness.

The 29-year-old victim’s horrific 14-hour rape ordeal, during which she was tied up and gagged, has left her so badly battered and in such a state of shock that she can barely recall the savage attack.

The woman – whose identity cannot be revealed due to the nature of the crime – was abducted and a gun put to her head while she was walking down Highfield Road in Port Elizabeth at about 6pm on Monday.

An unknown number of assailants covered her head with a blanket and forced her into a nearby vehicle.

The gang then drove the woman to a rundown football clubhouse in Gelvan Park, Schauderville, 2km away, at the corner Olympia streets.

In an interview yesterday, the distraught victim cried uncontrollably.

She was abducted after storming out a house after an altercation with her older sister shortly before 6pm.

“I went to walk and clear my head. I was walking towards 4th Avenue in Highfield Road, when someone put a gun to my head from behind. They put something over my head so I couldn’t see anything [and] pulled of Amazon and me into some vehicle. “I could feel the gun. “They took me to a place where they put a sock in my mouth and tied my hands and legs together. I don’t know how many of them there were. They raped me for hours. I was in and out of consciousness the whole time.

“I can’t remember anything or even remember what they said to me.”

The victim said the men held a gun to her head the whole time.

“While I was in and out of consciousness, I saw the building’s windows and doors were all broken but I didn’t know where I was. I remember it was dark outside and I was screaming, but no one could hear me. Then I came around and had a blanket over my body. I managed to pull the sock out my mouth and scream for help.

“No one heard me for a long time, but eventually someone came.”

She was rushed to Dora Nginza Hospital for treatment and was released late on Tuesday night. Her 37year-old sister said the family was shocked by the attack.

“My sister has been sleeping and can barely walk. I am so angry. We want answers and we want justice.”

The only items stolen were the woman’s shoes and pants.

Police spokesman Warrant Officer Alwin Labans said the motive for the attack was unknown and no arrests had been made as yet. Detectives were still gathering evidence.